Thursday, November 15, 2007

My crown is in my heart...


"My crown is in my heart,not on my head;
Not decked with diamonds,and Indian stones,
Nor to be seen;
my crown is called content;
A crown it is that seldom kings enjoy."
-- Shakespeare

Self-awareness is about tuning into your spirit and the inner life on a deeper level. You gain confidence by having God as your confidante: being honest with Him, asking Him the right questions and trusting that all the answers lie with with Christ. Listening to God’s word and that "inner voice" of wisdom, you and I are empowered to take a stand, be our own person and live truth. Passion lies at the center of our spirit, in the marrow of our bones, and in the deep recesses of the soul. At the heart of all great literature, poetry, art, philosophy, psychology, and religion lies the naming and analysing of this aspiration.

Spirituality is, ultimately, about what we do with our unrest. What we do with our longings, both in terms of handling the pain and the hope they bring us, that is our spirituality . . . Augustine says: 'You have made us for yourself, Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.' Christ responds to our unrest. He helps us find peace as we struggle to reconcile irreconcilable human issues, like: how do I live a generous and moral life, and at the same time, how do I "follow my bliss"? How do I make holy choices when these two urges -- for service to others and for service to self -- meet in the crucible of my daily life? How do I balance my conflicting longings for individuality and community, freedom and responsibility, power and meekness, wildness and civility?Spiritual passion allows us to dream. It is the spark that ignites the fuel within us to create something of ourselves. It is inspiring. Passion is exciting. It is invigorating. Without it our lives can become commonplace, tedious, mindless shells of existence.
-- TR

No comments: