Sunday, December 7, 2008

Those evasive feelings...

“Only Faith beholds that all is well.” -- S.R. Lysaght
How are you doing? Have you ever felt somewhat stuck... perhaps thinking too much about how to answer that evasive question? I do. Indeed, it becomes evasive if we focus upon that minute membrane called Feelings that are complex... restless little creatures that stir in the night.

Well, in the last while I’ve been learning to accept REALITY (a little more) for what life is rather than what I want it to be. It's been a vital part of cultivating a more affirmative philosophy of life, because no matter how intense or annoying circumstances can be, those circumstances make up the present that I live out from day to day.

Denying the uncomfortable realities is a denial of living, because it makes us want to fast forward life only to the places where we experience peace and harmony rather than discomfort, conflict or upset. Whether we like it or not our marching orders are to build bridges over the rough terrain of life in order to make progress don't you think?

Many of my Italian relatives (with the best intentions) often fed my sister and I ideas of entitlement... that we should insist on an easier life and thus showing little tolerance during the "hard times". This leads to self pity and resentment. No matter how much it eats at us, no matter how annoying, we need to face the facts of life and put our wishful thinking aside of how we prefer life to be.

I think this is a remedy against anger, self-pity, bitterness, etc… I think resentment is in fact … the residue that comes from demanding that life to be different than it is… and so we allow our energy to be drained by such fantasy as being light, harmonious and totally pain-free. I find it so rarely works that way.

What are your thoughts on this subject? How are you doing?

TR 2009 ©



No comments: