Sunday, June 29, 2008

beyond the superficial

Wishful

photo credit

One Toronto morning while I strolling through a nearby drug store, I noticed this greeting card by artist Gary Larson with the caption, "Wish I'd brought a magazine". Larson couldn't have made a more stinging indictment on religion. Through this fuddy-duddy caricature I came to an awareness that even though I devoted much time to church and religious activities, something was grossly missing in my life.
 
Literary writers have described it in terms of a superficial understanding about oneself, about others and about our true nature. We seem to make excuses and resist our true calling to journey inwardly or spiritually. We dread discovering what's below the surface of the ice berg. However, to the extent we avoid this journey, we invite shallowness of personhood and the ultimate possibility of a broken-world experience.
 
Intuitivefeeling © 2008
 

No comments: